Friday, March 6, 2009

What I've Learned

The beginning of this year has been a struggle for me for many different accounts. As many of you know, my mother is fighting Alzheimer's Disease and the bitter effects it has on her state of well being and changes that constantly occur. I worry that my own girls won't ever really know who my mom truly is. They know what she looks like, know the sound of her voice, and know where she lives. But there are things they won't know about my mom. They won't know how crafty my mom was. She could crochet, paint, make jewelry, cross stitch, sew...just to name a few. She always had some type of project going on. My mom is/ was great with kids. She worked for many years with high school students in a job she loved. She was a second mom to many teenagers and a listening ear when needed. She is a great woman of faith. I have fond memories of getting ready for school in the morning or waking up on Saturday morning to see mom reading her daily devotional.

As much as I have struggled with accepting her disease and her prognosis, I have also come to learn how much my girls and I are learning from her. Greta Banks has developed a greater compassion and understanding for people with disabilities. She helps grandmama up the stairs, turns on the light switch, and even tries to help mom unbutton her pants when she can't do it alone. I've seen my daughter react with such empathy that not many adults can display. She is always asking if grandmama is okay and does she need help. Mom may not be able to do the things she once could but she can still teach us alot about life...even at an early age!

No comments:

http://www.thecutestblogontheblock.com/free-backgrounds/free-backgrounds/item/297/asInline